Even if E-A-T is not proven to be one of the top organic ranking factors, adding it to your SEO strategies is seen as a good practice.
In the same way that E-A-T contributes to positioning when thinking about holistic SEO, this factor also complements branding.
This article covers:
- What is E-A-T for Google?
- How does E-A-T work in practice?
- How does Google EAT impact YMYL pages?
- How to improve EAT to strengthen SEO in Google Google?
What is E-A-T for Google?
Google's acronym E-A-T means "Expertise, Authoritativeness and Trust", in Portuguese "Expertise, authority and reliability".
According to Google's Quality Raters' Guidelines, a relevant page must have a higher EAT, for example:
- Deep, relevant and quality content;
- Online reputation of the site, pages and content authors;
- No clickbaits on titles. li>
How does E-A-T work in practice?
Understand each E-A-T point as a ranking factor.
Expertise is associated with the depth of the issues that the site deals with, as well as the biography information of the authors and the text on the “Who We Are” page.
In the same way, articles about health must be written by a doctor or graduate in the field, as well as articles about marketing must be written by specialists or qualified professionals.
The authority symbolizes the relevance of the page to Google, being considered:
- UX (user experience);
- Load speed (Core Web Vitals);
- Amount of contextual and relevant backlinks the page receives.
In addition, the EAT considers the user's time on the page as well as the bounce rate.
The trust of a page according to Google EAT is directly linked to the site's security and other best practices, such as:
- No broken links;
- No grammar errors;
- Responsive layout;
- Security certificate (HTTPS).
In other words, reliability in E-A-T is associated with good practices in the site and in the content.
How does Google EAT impact YMYL pages?
YMYL (“Your Money Your Life”) pages, in Portuguese “Your Money or Your Life” are characterized by content related to users' happiness, finances, health and safety.
Since EAT came in as a ranking factor, YMYL pages take a big hit whenever algorithms using this feature are updated.
In short, Google's goal with this update was to make information safer and more accurate for users by avoiding placing untrusted pages in the top positions of its search engine.
How to improve E-A-T to strengthen SEO in Google?
Understand how to improve your EAT level to get better SEO results for Google.
1. Produce high quality content
Above all, produce content of high quality and relevance to your user, with up-to-date, concise and adequately sized information.
Furthermore, your content and articles must comply with the user's purpose in order to convey the information promptly, using subtitles that match the following block of text.
In the same way, avoid broken links and grammatical errors on your pages.
2. Convey Reliability
As far as reliability is concerned with E-A-T, consider:
- Avoid using misleading or unrelated headlines to drive traffic;
- Get real updates on the Google My Business, Facebook page, and Yelp profile.
- Reply all ratings received, especially negative ones;
- Use an SSL certificate;
- Have a responsive website.
3. Be an expert in your field
It is not enough to be an expert, ideally you should be an authority in your area of expertise and link your reputation to your content in order to give credibility to the information transmitted.
Therefore, one way to implement this is to insert the author's name before or at the end of the publication, providing more security for your persona.
4. Be an active member of your community
Understand and be present in your community's communication channels, whether in groups, forums or other means.
In the same way, contribute with useful and accurate information in order to strengthen your expertise in the subject.
5. Have a backlink profile superior to the competition
Do a backlink profile analysis of your competition and build better and stronger backlinks.
In this sense, start with contextual backlinks on sites in the same segment.
In the same way, you can write to news portals in order to bring more information about your area to the general public.
6. Get mentions or have a Wikipedia page
According to Google's QRG, Wikipedia is a trustworthy site, furthermore, it is very difficult to get a mention on the site as the articles undergo regular review by the community that maintains it.
However, even if Wikipedia backlinks are nofollow, Google considers links on authority sites as well as unlinked mentions.
7. Beware of external links from your site
Just as Google monitors and analyzes the links your site receives, it acts the same way on your site's external links.
So be careful with external links on your pages, avoid placing links to sites with little or no EAT.
8. Receive social signals regularly
Social signs are proof that your brand is relevant in the social context in which it operates, regardless of the niche.
In other words, the most important social signals for SEO today are:
- Number of tweets and retweets on Twitter;
- Popularity (number of followers) of people mentioning your website or brand on Twitter;
- Number of shares on Twitter Facebook;
- Number of mentions on Reddit, StumbleUpon and Tumblr;
- Number of Pins on Pinterest;
- Number of mentions on LinkedIn.
In short, social signals are proof that your brand is engaged in social media, which proves its relevance.
Finally, it is essential that sites add the E-A-T to their search engine optimization strategies, especially websites belonging to the YMYL category.